My fellow Buckeyes,
On behalf of the 550,000 Ohio State alumni worldwide, please know our thoughts and prayers are with all of you confronting the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. We are committed to using the collective strength of our whole Buckeye alumni family to help you and yours rebuild, recover and thrive.
Efforts are underway through your alumni association to organize service projects in the Houston area. More details will come soon. Until then, please do not hesitate to let me know how you are doing and how we can be of service.
If you are able to offer aid, there are ways for you to get involved today through the Ohio State Alumni Club of Houston. See their inspiring message below.
With my best wishes,
Jim Smith, President/CEO, ‘91
The Ohio State University Alumni Association
We hope this email finds you safe and dry. Hurricane Harvey has caused unprecedented devastation to Houston and the surrounding areas. However, it is awe-inspiring to see the outpouring of love and support from the community and surrounding areas/states. In an effort for Buckeyes to give back to our beloved communities, we’ll be holding donation drives at our watch party locations if you are able to SAFELY make it to one. Please see below for the donations requested at each location:
- Irish Cowboy (2300 Louisiana St. Houston, TX 77006) – We will be collecting non-perishable food items at this location. Please keep in mind that this location is 21+.
- Sam’s Boat (5720 Richmond Ave. Houston, TX 77057) – We will be collecting non-perishable food items at this location.
- Lucky’s Pub West (17754 Katy Fwy #1 Houston, TX 77094) – We will be collecting non-perishable food items, clothes, shoes, dog/cat food, toiletry items, etc. at this location.
- Buffalo Wild Wings in The Woodlands (19075 I-45 #100 Shenandoah, TX 77385) – They will donate 20% of proceeds, including alcohol, to one of the Harvey relief funds (TBD which fund).
If you’d prefer to make a monetary donation, we’d encourage you to consider one of the many organizations assisting in relief efforts such as the list below (this is not a complete listing).
- American Red Cross – https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation
- Houston Food Bank – http://www.houstonfoodbank.org/
- JJ Watt Fundraiser – https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-915053
- Houston Humane Society – http://www.houstonhumane.org/giving
For the most up to date information, please follow our Facebook page: The Ohio State Alumni Club of Houston. We will send out additional communications about volunteer opportunities as we’re able to coordinate these. Stay safe and stay strong, Houston! We’ll pull through this together.
Jordann and Ben Albaitis